Sunday, October 01, 2006

Baby Naming

On Sabbath we had a baby naming for Maia and I wanted to share what I had written. I have to warn you , its a bit soppy but truly heartfelt. i guess that I can get away with being over sentimental at the moment, I can always blame it on my hormones !!

Maia Emily Gila Granit

When I first realized that Maia was going to born by caesarian, it seemed such a foreign and strange thing to know when your child would come into this world and when you would meet her for the first time. To lie in bed the night before and think “ wow, tomorrow I’m going to have this little girl, I’m going to see her face and touch her. It has its own magic to it.

An hour before she was born, Erez and I were sitting on a hospital bed playing sheshpesh , which was somewhat surreal. You will be pleased to know that I bet him 4 games to 2.

Erez, I am so glad that it was your eyes that I got to look into the moment that she came into the world and that we heard her cry for the first time. I thank you for your beautiful words afterwards, telling me how brave and amazing I was and for making me feel that I could achieve anything, if you were there with me. I am so grateful that I have you in my life and that we have created this beautiful family together.

The thing that seems so amazing to me now, is that just last week, when I looked at Yonatan, it didn’t seem possibly that my heart could expand anymore to include anyone else. When you only have one child it’s hard to imagine how you could have room to love more than one. Now when I look at Maia , I literally can feel my heart expanding and its an amazing feeling.

There is so much that I feel grateful for and feel that I need to give thanks for.

I also feel grateful for the love, help and support that I felt from so many people both during the pregnancy and the birth. I feel privileged to live within such a community, and thank you all so much.

I feel grateful for Erez and Yonatan , their love and humor and for our family.

I am so grateful to the gift of this little girl.
I pray for her to become a person who greet the world
With passion, courage, humility, humor and patience

I pray for the ability to love and nurture her,
To provide for her and educate her,
To understand her and allow her the freedom to grow and discover the person that she will become.

Maia, we welcome you into your family,
Into your community,
Into your world

We love you.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Sniff, sniff, that's lovely honey. Be proud of yourself and your beautiful family.

Welcome little Maia, be happy and healthy, and always know that you are loved.

Domestic Goddess said...

beautiful, thank you so very much for sharing.